Janet Nunn, Liberal Democrat activist for Barton le Clay

Sunday 31 October 2010

The state of roads and paths in Barton ward

I'm pleased I completed the AA Street Watch this week, a survey over one hour (about two miles' walk), covering roads main, minor, residential and footpaths.

It forced me to consider in detail the precise state of our by-ways over a number of categories including potholes, kerb stones, iron inspection covers (all needing to be over 2" to be noteworthy by the AA's rules), uneven footpath, faded or not visible road signs, worn/faded road markings (not yellow or white lines), parked vehicle blocking footpath, litter and dog fouling.

The route I chose went along Manor Road past Ramsey Manor Lower School, down Hexton Road, then Sharpenhoe Road to the public footpath at the end and back on the other side of the road, along the main road to cut up the footpath past the Indian restaurant along Bradshaw's, left round Arnold Road, then along the final alleyway back to Manor Road.

Before I completed the walk, I'd have guessed that potholes and uneven footpaths to have been the greatest offenders; in the event, it was litter (no sweet wrapper sized items allowed; only larger ones such as beer cans, cigarette packs), faded road marking for schools and parts of potholes as our large potholes are usually only 1" deep, I was intrigued to note. No evidence of dog fouling, no illegally parked vehicles, blocked drains, roadworks. I was surprised and impressed.

As for what we need to do to ward off some of this a la Big Society: install a litter bin outside Ramsey school and one along Hexton Road towards Old Road, ditto another near the children's playground behind the Co-op.

But this was just my snapshot in time. Did you complete your own AA survey? Or have views on our by-ways? I'd appreciate your views if so.

No comments:

Post a Comment