Janet Nunn, Liberal Democrat activist for Barton le Clay

Wednesday 27 January 2010

How cool is that man?

I met Richard Carr today, the still fairly new Chief Executive of Central Beds Council who had invited all Councillors to one of a series of drop-ins on a get-to-know-you basis.

Although I'd voted against his appointment on a matter of principle owing to his mega remuneration package (one of two Councillors so doing), that was six months ago at my first Council meeting. Today, I went to meet him with an open mind and was pleasantly surprised on a number of counts.

1. He grasped at once why I'm concerned about the lack of free sports facilities such as BMX-skate parks for our young people in Barton-le-Clay and in Bushmead. He showed concern about the risk of them becoming disaffected if left to hang around. He's aware that as a society we're becoming less tolerant of young people.

2. He engaged with our issue of poor parking arrangements in the centre of Barton-le-Clay and asked that I give him a few days to approach key people before I take action.

3. He listened to the issues surrounding the Youth Hut, unused for a couple of years now in the centre of Barton-le-Clay and made notes about the ideas being mooted.

4. He undertook to discuss with the Council Chairman my proposal that we should be neutral where matters of faith are concerned and either have no prayers before Council meetings (my preference) or ensure that we are even-handed when inviting spokespeople from other faiths. (Since my arrival last June, only Christian spokespeople have led prayers.)

5. He laughs easily, a cross between a belly laugh and a chortle; most infectious. Sounds just like Tim How (of Majestic Wine Warehouse fame) of whom a work colleague said, on hearing him speak at a conference, "How cool is that man?"

I'll need some more time to see how cool Richard Carr may be. Meanwhile, I look forward to some help in getting resource behind these much needed projects and to hearing more of that laugh.

Other projects for the Barton-le-Clay ward: east-west public transport and cycle routes; more public waste bins; public loos. What else would you like to add to our wish list?

No comments:

Post a Comment