Janet Nunn, Liberal Democrat activist for Barton le Clay

Wednesday 20 January 2010

Why do people do what they do?

On this day, one year after US President Obama's inauguration, I was asked what my motivation was for offering to be on a particular committee. The answer was so obvious (to me) that the question rather threw me. (I hope my eyebrows didn't betray this.)

To make a difference in a positive direction. Wouldn't anyone? Doesn't everyone? Look at Obama.

But of course, motivations are more complex than that. People do things to get them out of the house, for example; to give them status in their community; to give their life meaning; because they think they should; because they've been flattered or coerced into offering or accepting; because they think it would be fun.

So now I want to think about my motivations, to prioritise my ideas and thoughts about the committee, and know the answer to the question, if there's no direction of travel, just a state of being, is that good enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment